Saturday, August 18, 2012

Family Affairs

One of my wife's friends had a subscription to Ancestry.com and she was good enough to pull a copy of the 1911 census entry for the Ingham family and send it to us. The census shows my Grandmother's family living in a small terrace house in Rochdale. My grandmother is shown in the census form as the youngest in the family, aged 11, and George is her youngest older brother, aged 14 in 1911. 

My Grandmother was the only girl in the Ingham family. I recall her only as an elderly woman who was always the gentle English lady. She was artisitic, as was my mother. Elizabeth Finney (nee Ingham) painted in oils and developed her own distinct style, often painting in muted tones with pallet knife rather than brush, and using any paint support that came to hand. We still have an oil of the skyline of New York that she did on the inside of a Cheerios box. She also painted in water colours. I remember that she was deaf in one ear and I have a dim recollection that her loss of hearing might have been the result of a silly prank by one of her brothers. In her later years, she visited us here in Canada for several weeks at a time. I certainly saw more of her than I did of my grandfather but typical of teenagers, I took completely her for granted and paid little attention when she spoke of her family.

The white bit in the census form shown below is a field that records medical issues. As these issues are in some cases genetic, they are redacted by Ancestry for later family privacy reasons:

1911 census form for the Ingham Family

Here is a close-up of the most interesting part:

Close-up of a portion of the 1911 census
 
At age 14 in 1911, George was already out of school and working as a full-time wool presser. I don't know at what age he started full time work or when he stopped attending school but I have seen elsewhere that 13 was the norm at that time. The family's address is shown as 53 Grouse Street, Rochdale. Google street view provided a sidewalk view of the house, which is still there and seemingly in good repair.

Google Street View - Ingham Home 2nd Door From Left

The head of the family, my great grandfather, was named George as well. He was also in the military, serving in a territorial battalion of the Lancashire Fusiliers on a part-time basis. The only picture I have of him shows him in a ~1880 carte de visite wearing the red serge uniform of a corporal of the regiment with its distinctive white facing colour. The back of the photo says he was in the 2nd (Rochdale) Volunteer Battalion of the Fusiliers and that his service number was 3243. He is probably late 20's or early 30's at the date of the photo.

George Ingham Sr. c. 1880

The only other notable document that came out of the Ancestry search was a 1932 probate notice for my great grandmother Emma Ingham.



No comments:

Post a Comment